We all know how much we hate termites. These nasty creatures enter our house and destroy our entire valuable.
Inspite of them being a destroyer these tiny social worker are of great benefit to the environment.
Just imagine a group of tiny workers that has the capacity to destroy huge building is also needed by the nature.
Termites are also known as social insects. They work in a group and raise their young as a group. They have the ability to chew through wood, flooring and even wallpapers which goes undetected.
They can secretly hide and bloom in your house without showing any prompt signs of damaged initially. They are attracted to cellulose based plant material and our home easily provides them with cellulose food.
There are different types of termites- Dry wood termite, Damp wood termite, Formosan termite and subterranean termites.
Four Types Of Termites
There are four different types of termites and let us know more about them
Subterranean termites colonies also are divided into soldiers, workers and reproductive and its colonies can have up to 2 million members.
Food habits– They also feed on wood, plastics and wallpapers and plants’ fabric.
Habitat– They live under the ground and above the ground they live on wet areas. They need to come in contact with the soil in order to survive.
Impact– They are very destructive in nature. They can easily destroy the foundation of the building as they eat lots of woods. They can destroy plastic pipes as well.
Prevention– Make sure that you don’t have any water build up around the house. Keep all the junk wood away and water should be drained away from the house.
Dry wood Termites
These termites also don’t have colonies and all the work of the colony is done by the young termites. They can form a colony of about 2,500 members.
Food habits– They feed upon wood, wallpaper and plastics.
Habitat– They live in dry woods and do not require any moisture.
Impact– They can easily build tunnels in the building which makes the wooden support beams weak and can cause the buildings to fall down.
Prevention– keep all the junk wood away from the house and all the cracks and crevices outside the house should be covered.
Damp wood Termites
These types of termites are larger in size as compared to other termite species. These termites doesn’t have workers so all the young termites do the work for the colony.
Food habits– They feed on woods that are very moist.
Habitat– They live in the areas with damp and dying woods and also in houses which has a leaking plumps which makes the wood wet.
Impact– These termites do not transmit any diseases.
Prevention– To avoid damp wood termites from infesting your house make it a point to drain away water from your house.
Formosan termites’ single colony consists of about thousands of termites and its colonies can be up to 300 feet long. Its colonies are divided into soldiers, workers and reproductive. These termites have a destructive nature.
Food habits– They can feed on wood. They even feed on dead plants.
Habitat– They build their nests inside the walls of the buildings.
Impact– They tends to eat lot of woods which can cause serious damage to your house.
Prevention– Damps and damaged woods should be replaced.
7 Interesting and Useful Facts About Them
- Termite acts as decomposers– Termites are beneficial insects. They help to recycle dead and decaying trees and turn it into a new fresh soil. They even help to improve the soil. These insects are very beneficial for forests.
- They feed each other’s excrement– Termites feed on each other’s poop or dung. Before they start feeding on trees they need to acquire micro-organisms for their digestive tracts. This practice is known as trophallaxis. They don’t have bacteria in their guts.
- Young termites are raised by their father– In the termite colony the male termite stay with the queen and help her in the fertilization of the egg. Male termites even share the parental duties and help to feed the young.
- Workers and soldiers of the termite colony are blind– Workers and soldiers of the termite colony stays in the dark damp areas so they do not need to develop eyes. Only reproductive termites have eyes.
- They send a warning signs when they detect threat– When termite soldier detects threat they quickly start banging their heads against the walls to send vibrating signals throughout the colony.
- Termites make the soil healthy and strong– Termites makes the soil strong which enables us to build structure like home. The foundation of the house will crack if its build on the weak soil. Termite’s faeces matter and the saliva which is left behind after they ingest the material are very beneficial to the soil. Its Faeces and saliva acts a fertilisers for the soil.
- Termites are well-groomed– Termites make an effort to stay neat and clean. They spend great amount of time grooming each other. Hygiene is very important to their survival.
If you have any ideas as to how to get rid of termites then feel free to share it with us
Quotemykaam is an online service provider who provides you with safe odorless Anti Termite Treatment and give you a pest free and healthy home with no hassle.
To know more about termite infestation kindly go through our links below:
Termite Control in Delhi
Termite Control in Bangalore
Termite Control in Chandigarh
Termite Control in Chennai
Termite Control in Faridabad
Termite Control in Ghaziabad
Termite Control in Greater Noida
Termite Control in Gurgaon
Termite Control in Hyderabad
Termite Control in Kolkata
Termite Control in Noida
Termite Control in Pune
If your house is infested with termites then book an appointment with us!