Read through to know the best time of termite treatment, and get an idea of some of the most effective termite control methods.
Termites or white ants as they are generally called live in colonies and multiply very fast. Termites are normally found in the cemented earth and mainly dine on wood and other cellulose products.They may cause severe damage and must be treated immediately with best termite control methods.
Types Of Termites
Termites can be classified into 3 main categories
All these kinds of termites can cause a good amount of damage to your property and render it as unlivable until expensive repairs are done.
Termite Control Treatment:-
In case of an active termite infestation, it is always advisable to get help from best professional termite pest control companies.
However, if you are experiencing a relatively new termite infestation you can use ’ spot treatment’. In this treatment, only the affected areas are treated. As this termite control method is simple you can make use of the do it yourself programs here.
On the other hand, if you are suffering from a very old and deep infestation, you have to make use of some other termite treatment options carried out by well-trained professionals with the best knowledge and equipment.
We can classify types of termite control methods into two broad categories:-
- Pre-Construction anti termite treatment:-This treatment is done before the construction of the property is completed. It is mainly soil treatment done with the help of termiticides used for subterranean termite control methods. In this termite control method, the foundation, piers, chimney bases, pipes and other things in contact with the soil are treated.
- Post Construction Anti- termite treatment:-This kind of anti termite treatment involves methods used to address termite infestation after construction is complete. This termite control treatment mainly uses the drill, fill and seal method.
The damage caused by termites can affect the beautiful woodwork done in your house. It can also weaken the walls of the house and may cause it to crumble if left unattended, so immediate action must be taken.
You can use many kinds of termite treatment options, to get rid of these tiny creepy pests.
Popular Termite Control Methods
- Termite control method-Liquid termite treatments:
In this termite pest control method, different chemicals and termiticides are used. These prevent termites to get into the soil and acquire moisture that they need to survive.
This is the fastest working method of termite control and acts as an invisible barrier for termites.
In this termite control treatment liquid is sprayed in and around the house. Termites trying to approach unknowingly pick up the termiticide and transfer it to their colony.
In this termite treatment method, two kinds of pesticides are used repellent which acts as a barrier for termites to enter further and non- repellent which kills termites permanently.
Commonly used termiticides:- Some commonly used eco-friendly termiticides are bayers premise and termidor, There are other more effective termiticides like chlordane, Aldrin and lindane, but they are not eco-friendly and thus less popular.
Advantages of liquid termite control method:-
- They are effective for 5 to 10 years.
- Cheap compare to other termite control methods.
Disadvantages of liquid termite control method:-
- If soil is removed the entire region needs to be re-treated. Moreover the soil should be sandy and devoid of rocks to allow the termiticide to spread evenly without leaving any gaps.
- The cost increases depending on the construction type. i.e. whether it is based on direct ground or on a pier.
- If further extention is done in construction blocks, one should ensure treating the extended blocks as well. Missing out on treating the extended portion may expose it to termite infestation.
- The termiticide might get washed away if the area has a slope or is inclined.
- Many termite entry points hidden behind walls and floor covering
- Huge quantity of termiticide are required.
- Home owners may object to the drill, fill, seal method.
- Termite control method- Setting Baits to trap termites:-
In this termite control method baits are set for termites.
The termites are not killed instantly in this case as a slow working termiticide is used, once presence of termite is detected.
A bait station made of wood is setup in nearby areas of the house by professionals to check whether termites are present. The professional inspects the bait station every three months. If termites are found to eat the wood, the bait station is treated with a termite bait consisting of special termiticides.
The kind of termiticide used in this case stays on the foraging termite for sometime without killing them. Once this termite reaches the colony, there are high chances that the whole colony will get infected with the termiticide and perish eventually.
Where are the bait stations kept?
Bait stations kept under the ground:- In this method we wait for the termites to find the bait station and feed on it. It will be a time consuming process.
Bait stations kept above the ground:- In this method bait stations are kept above the ground in areas where presence of termites is already detected. As termites are already present, they easily find the bait and this method works a little faster.
Some famous bait systems are Sentricon, Exterra and Firstline. Spectracide terminate is a bait product used by homeowners.
Advantages of termite control method of Bait System:-
- No drilling or any kind of disturbance in the house is done.
- The entire area around the house is not treated with chemicals.
- Construction flaws don’t act as a barrier.
- Easier to install bait stations.
Disadvantages of termite control method of Bait Systems:-
- Costs higher
- Termites may enter the house without falling for the bait trap
- Termite control method-Treating the damaged wood:-
Wood is the main place where termites reside inside a house.
Wood treatment can be done with the help of chemicals or heat treatment.
The commonly used chemicals, in this case, are Borocare and Timbor.
Advantages of wood termite control method:–
- Once the affected wood is treated termite infestation may get controlled.
- Proper chemical usage ensures the beauty of the wood remains intact.
Disadvantages of wood termite control method:-
- Drilling may be done to inject the chemical.
- Not all wood types can bear the high temperatures of heat treatment.
- Termite control method-Fumigation:–
Fumigation is mainly used for drywood termite treatment.
In this case, Fumigant pesticides like methyl bromide or Vikane gas are used to kill drywood termites permanently. The exterminator may also use tear gas to prevent humans from entering the area.
This termite treatment tenting process uses a tent to cover the entire house before the fumigants are spread.To accommodate this tent certain preparations need to be done. Any barrier like fence,antennae etc should be removed before the tent is put.
Before this process starts the entire house should be vacated. Soil should be watered to prevent fumigants entering it.
Once the fumigation process completes exterminator aerates the premises, leaving no residue of fumigants behind.
Sometimes high temperatures or heat treatment is also used for drywood termite control but it is not preferable.
Advantages of Fumigation Termite Control method:-
- Definitely all drywood termites are killed.
- The entire house gets treated in one go.
Disadvantages of Fumigation Termite Control method:
- Time consuming
- Lot of pre-preparation is required.
- House needs to be vacated.
- Fumigants may cause some after effects.
- Professional help is must.
On a concluding note, I can say, that you need to get rid of termites as quickly as possible to save your assets.
You can choose any of the above methods based on the level of infestation and area of infestation.
Do let me know if any methods other than those mentioned above, has helped you to get rid of this damage causing pests.
If you want to avail the services of the best, government certified professional for termite treatment, visit the following links to take an appointment.