How to Install a Split System AC?
Most peoples hire a professional for installation of split AC. But if you have some experience of plumbing and electrical work, you can easily install split AC by yourself. Let’s See! How?
Installation of Indoor Unit of split AC:
- Select the desired location on your interior wall to mount the indoor AC unit.
- Donot select such locations where gas may leak.
- The AC unit must be at least 15 cm of open space surrounding its top and sides and at least 7 feet above the ground.
- The unit must be installed at least 3.3 feet away from antenna and power or connecting lines.
- The wall must be strong enough to hold the weight of the AC unit.
- Construct a wooden or metallic frame for providing added support to AC.
- Hold the mounting plate to the interior wall.
- Hold the mounting plate to the interior wall where you want to install the indoor unit.
- Use a perfect level to keep the plate in perfect spot.
- Now, drill holes at appropriate spots on the wall to fix the plate.
- Secure the plate to the wall with tapping screws and plastc anchors.
- Create a hole of 7.5 cm in the wall to fit the piping.
- Check the electrical connections of AC unit and make sure that cable wires are correctly connected to screw terminals and is perfectly matched to the diagram in the box.
- Connect pipes.
- Run the pipe from the indoor unit towards the hole drilled through the wall.
- Cut a length of PVC pipe 6 mm smaller than length between interior and exterior wall surfaces.
- Place the pipe cap on the interior end of the PVC and insert the pipe into the hole in the wall.
- Bind the power cables and the drain pipe together with electrical tape and place the drain pipe at the bottom for flowing of water.
- Secure the pipe to the indoor unit by tightening the connections.
- Connect the water drainage pipe to the indoor unit’s base.
- Run the bound pipes & cables through the hole in the wall.
- Secure the indoor AC unit with the mounting plate by pressing the unit against the mounting plate.
Installation of Outdoor Condensor:
- Select the best place for installation of the outdoor unit by keeping these two points in mind:
- Its location must be away from any heavily trafficked dusty or hot areas.
- The outdoor unit needs 12″ of space surrounding its perimeter for ensuring proper functioning.
- Lay the concrete pad on the ground at appropriate level. The pad must be high enough so that the condenser sits above the level of winter snows and make sure that there must be no antenna of a radio or television within 3m of the outdoor condenser.
- Connect the electrical wires.
- Remove the cover and follow the Outdoor unit’s wiring diagram.
- Fasten the cables with a cable clamp & replace the cover.
- Secure the pipes nuts to the corresponding pipes on the outdoor unit correctly.
Completion of Split System Air Conditioner Installation:
- Bleed the air and humidity away from the refrigerant or coolant circuit.
- Remove the caps of 2-way and 3-way valves and from the service ports and connect a vacuum pump hose to the service port.
- Turn vacuum on till it reaches an absolute vacuum of 10mm of Hg.
- Then, close the low pressure knob & turn off the vacuum.
- Check all of the joints and valves for leaks.
- Finally, disconnect the vacuum andeplace the service port and caps.
- Wrap the pipe joints with insulating covering or insulating tape.
- Affix the piping to the wall with the help clamps.
- Seal up the hole in the wall by using expanding polyurethane foam.