Leather Sofa Cleaning – Some effective solution for leather sofa problems and best home remedies for leather sofa care
Have you successfully selected the perfect sofa to enhance the beauty of your living room? Are you happy that durable and easy to maintain leather sofas will reduce your cleaning load? So the only challenge that remains is how to clean leather sofas?
Let me guide you with some awesome tips to maintain a sparkling clean leather sofa and to revive its supple feel. Before that let us know about the material that your leather sofa can be made of, so we get a better understanding of how to clean leather.
Types of Leather:-
Leather is of many types based on their quality. The two major divisions are :
• Protected leather – Protected leather is of two types semi-aniline and pigmented. This type of leather comes with a protective pigment coating and is more resistant to stains and wear and tear.
• Unprotected leather – Also called as aniline leather, it brings a soft and luxurious feel. It has a dirt-resistant treatment done but no protective coating is present. So it requires proper leather care.
Your leather sofa will be made up of one of these two types of leather. Once you are clear about the type of leather on your sofa, you can confidently proceed with the leather sofa care instructions.
Problems Of Leather Sofa
Leather couch adds a style to your living room enhancing its beauty. Thus you always want to make your leather sofa look good and feel fresh. The common challenges that you face with your leather furniture are :
• Stain Marks
• Damage to Fine stitching.
So always be prompt to initiate proper leather sofa care before serious damage is caused. The ultimate and most effective key to these leather sofa problems is to avail services of professional leather sofa cleaners.
The basic steps for leather sofa cleaning are :
1.Vacuum clean to remove dust particles:-
The first and foremost step for any kind of cleaning is to make it dust free. You can clean your leather sofa at home firstly with a vacuum cleaner having a soft brush attached to it. This helps you to remove any kind of residue on the top layer. Ensure all crevices and corners are cleaned properly to get the best result. if any residue remains, dust may get rubbed further into the sofa when you wipe it with a solution.
Again if you don’t do regular dusting, the abrasive nature of dust particles may damage your sofa when it comes in contact with moisture.
2. Wipe with a clean soft cloth or use a leather cleaning solution:-
Once you have removed all dust particles from the top layer, you should then go for a more deep level of leather sofa cleaning. Dependent on the amount of damage done to your leather couch, you can opt for one of the following leather sofa cleaning solution for deep cleaning your leather sofa.
Homemade Leather Cleaning Solutions
• The best and a widely used homemade leather cleaning solution is a solution made by mixing equal parts of water and white vinegar.
• Another common homemade leather cleaning solution is using a moisturising soap like dove with water to form lather on the sofa.
• A third option is using saddle soap but it is proved that saddle soap may tend to dissolve leather with repeated use. So try to avoid this option as much as you can
•Finally, you can go for any kind of commercial leather cleaning solution diluted with water. This would give you great results.
Once you decide upon the solution to be used, you should ensure using a soft cloth (preferably a microfiber one) to apply the solution on the leather couch. Keep the cloth a little moist and wipe the entire leather sofa with it. Do keep rinsing the cloth in between if needed. It is generally a good practice to wipe the sofa from top to bottom.
You should also be careful and test the effect of the solution you are planning to use once in an inconspicuous part of the sofa, before applying it to the entire sofa. This is mandatory as it will help you to understand the impact of the solution on your leather couch. In case the reaction is negative, you can stop before you use it on the entire sofa and cause severe damage to your expensive leather couch.
3. Dry The Leather Sofa
• Dry the sofa with a clean towel. Don’t use a blow dryer as it may dehydrate the leather
4. Apply Leather conditioner:-
On completing the leather couch cleaning with your chosen leather solution and drying it properly the next step is to condition it. This is required to maintain the supple feel of your leather sofa and get back the shiny look.
Homemade Leather Conditioner
•You can use normal coconut oil. Rubbing coconut oil can help you to get back the shine and smooth feel easily.
•Another homemade conditioner can be made, by mixing white vinegar with linseed oil or flaxseed oil in the ratio of 1:2.
Apply the homemade leather sofa conditioner on the sofa with a soft cloth in circular motions. Leave this mixture on the leather sofa overnight to get best results.
Finally the next day buff the sofa with a clean cloth to revive its shine.
This complete cycle of cleaning your leather couch once in a month or as and when necessary helps you maintain the sparkling look of your leather sofa. However, sometimes you face some tough challenges for leather sofa cleaning too. In that case, you should approach leather sofa cleaning professionals. As they have professional equipment and most modern leather sofa cleaning techniques. They also have good knowledge about the leather sofa care required reducing the chance of damage being caused to your expensive leather couch.
Are Leather Sofa Stains a Cause for Concern To You?
How to clean stains of the leather sofa may be your cause of concern as your beautiful leather sofa may fall victim to stains caused by spills, pen marks by your little one or any other kinds of marks left due to carelessness. If your sofa is ruined by these stubborn marks you can try some of the following leather sofa cleaning ways.
The key formula that you need to keep in mind is to blot and not wipe stains, use leather stain removers and treat the affected area with leather preservatives.
Types of Stains on Leather Sofa – How to clean stains of the leather sofa?
• Grease stains should be blotted immediately with cloth but not washed as fluid may cause the grease to soak in. However, if it has already dried you can use baking soda in that area to get rid of the grease.
•Ink stains can be removed by dabbing rubbing alcohol on the affected area with a cotton swab.
• Water stains can be removed by immediately blotting it. However, if the stain has dried, you can use a damp cloth to wipe outwards from the mark of the water stain. Reduce the moisture of the cloth as you keep moving outward.
• Scratches can be treated with baby oil or olive oil. Apply the oil with a cotton swab on the scratch and let it sit for 5 minutes. Later buff away the excess oil gently with a clean cloth
• For any other kind of tough stains, you can make a paste using lemon juice and cream of tartar equally and apply it on the stain. Leave it there for 10 mins and then wipe with a clean cloth.
• If all the above attempts fail or if you want to give the best sofa care to your expensive leather couch without trying experiments with unsure results, you should definitely contact expert leather sofa care professionals for help.
Leather Sofa Care Tips
There goes a saying that “Prevention is better than Cure”. Leather sofa cleaning helps you to remove any damage caused by dust or other stains. But you should also follow some preventive measures and keep a check on the regular leather sofa care that you follow to stop this damage from happening. Some common tips that you can follow are :
• No exposure to extreme temperatures:- Exposing your sofa directly to the air-conditioner, fireplace or sunlight is harmful. This will take away the moisture of the leather and cause cracks.
• Keep it away from scratch-causing conditions:- If you have pets, train them not to scratch the leather. Be careful while using any sharp objects that may cause a scratch or tear on the sofa.
• Moisturise it to keep the supple feel:- Use best leather sofa cleaning products to keep your leather sofa supple and comfortable.
• Keep it in a cool dry place:- Don’t keep the leather sofa in any humid place. As it may result in the development of mildew that can deteriorate the quality of leather.
• Let it breathe:- Never cover your sofa in plastics which may cut out total air supply to it. If you need to transfer your sofa or pack it up for some reason, always use some breathable material for it.
• For severe damages call the professional:- Don’t risk fixing big tears yourself as you may end up causing more harm. It is advisable to seek the help of certified leather sofa care professionals with best cost-effective sofa care options.
Are You Planning to book Professional Leather Sofa Cleaning Services?
You have spent a lot of time and effort in finding the best leather sofa to add that classy look to your living room decor. Your leather couch is the centre of attraction in your living room and the first impression on any of your guests. On a daily basis, your leather sofa is used a lot. It is your kids best buddy while watching their favourite shows, your hubby’s spot for relaxation after a long tiring day and the place of comfort for your entire family.
I am sure you would not be happy if this place of relaxation becomes the cause of health issues in your family due to the germs accumulated on it. You would not like to spoil the first impression on your guests with a torn and dirty leather sofa. You would not want a small tear or minor damages be the cause for destroying your expensive leather couch. Definitely, after spending so much time and money on it, you would not like it to lose its grand effect in a short span of time.
So what should you do? You should maintain regular leather sofa care and call professional leather sofa cleaning experts to clean your sofas once in a while. Ready to get a long-lasting and supple, shiny, new looking leather sofa back? Book our professional sofa cleaning services right away.